Is the best way to rosé all day al fresco style? Find out at the Ocean State’s best rooftop decks, whether you prefer a chic urban oasis or a laid-back coastal
1. The Roof Deck at Vanderbilt Grace transforms one of Newport’s loveliest decks into a “champagne rooftop” this summer. Watch the sun say goodnight over Narragansett Bay as sailboats saunter by in the distance. Tiffany blue cushions, comfy Adirondack chairs and elegant ambience –sit back
and enjoy the good life.
2. You’ll be hard pressed to find a “Wakefieldian” who doesn’t rush to Phil’s Main Street Grille as soon as the weather cooperates. Enjoy Phil’s fullbreakfast, lunch or dinner menu overlooking Main Street or perch yourself at the bar placed squarely in the heart of all the upper-deck action.
3. Multiple bars keep the drinks flowing at the Coast Guard House in Narragansett. You can work on your tan while savoring lunch or dinner from the brand-new kitchen. Enjoy live music Monday through Thursday and buck-a-shuck oysters with sparkling wine pairings on weekdays.
4. With varnished wood walls, porthole lighting and the stars overhead, you might think you’re on a yacht’s aft deck when you sit back and relax at The Crow’s Nest at Benjamin’s in Newport. Keep an eye out for pineapple or other fruit infusing vodka behind the bar.
5. The Hotel Viking is a landmark in the City by the Sea, and the rooftop patio overlooks all of its coastal splendor. If you want a taste of local flavor, try the “Arrrrrrrr!!!!!!!,” featuring Newport’s own Thomas Tew Rum, orangecuraçao and Amaretto mixed with a splash of pineapple juice, soda water and a squeeze of lime – with a cherry on top.
6. Choose your own al fresco adventure at Newport’s Midtown Oyster Bar. The second-floor “Burgee Deck” overlooks Newport’s bustling Thames Street. The third floor Loft Deck, Midtown’s highest point, offers views of Narragansett Bay and a cooling breeze, plus tables in this intimate space have umbrellas for sun protection.
7. Despite being under the stars, the capital city’s only rooftop lounge Rooftop at the Providence G and restaurant is open year-round. On the patio, glowing fire pits add both warmth and ambiance as you savor craft cocktails, seasonal craft brews or a selection from the well-considered wine list while hovering seven stories above the heart of Providence.