Grilling season is upon us, and there’s no better time to toss some crispy chicken wings on the flame for your next summer BBQ get-together or an indulgent any-time dinner. Rather than going for the hot sauce marinade, these chipotle ginger orange grilled chicken wings bump up the creativity while still being super easy to make, and you’ve been warned: they’re also absolutely addictive.
Despite incorporating its fair share of spices, this sauce doesn’t pack too much of a punch on the heat index, and can easily pass as mild - but complex, with the smoky chipotle essence of adobo sauce getting cozy with flavors like ginger and sweet, tangy orange jam.
To make this sauce, I highly recommend Warwick-based biz We Be Jammin’ for their orange marmalade. With mother-and-son owners Debbie and Jason Wood at the helm dispensing recipe tips and high fives, the cheery storefront is stocked full of butters, jams, honeys, salsas, and more. Looking to serve up some variety? A selection of BBQ sauces and marinades from We Be Jammin’ are sure to please all kinds of wing fans.
• 30 skin-on bone-in raw chicken wings (about 6 pounds)
• 10 oz orange jam
• 1 Tbsp ginger paste
• 3-4 Tbsp chipotle adobo sauce
• 1/4 tsp salt
• Pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
• Cooking spray of choice
• Optional: minced red onion, parsley, cilantro, or orange zest for garnish
1. Preheat the grill to 375°F.
2. Dab the chicken wings with a paper towel to dry them of excess moisture prior to placing in a large bowl. Toss the wings with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Allow the wings to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before grilling.
3. Spray the wings with cooking spray and place them directly on the grill rack. Close the lid and allow to cook for 5 minutes before flipping to the other side. Cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Increase the heat to 450ºF. Cook the wings for 7 minutes on each side before removing from the grill. Note that the wings are done when they register an internal temperature of 165°F, and cooking times will vary depending on the size of the wings.
5. While the wings are cooking, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the orange jam, ginger puree, salt, and chipotle adobo sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes before removing from heat.
6. Pour the sauce over the cooked chicken wings and toss to coat. Garnish with minced red onion, orange zest, and parsley or cilantro, and enjoy!
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here